Church Stuff-More or less

Does the church make sense or do we make it too hard for people to come in? I think yes and yes and the task then is to make it easier. Maybe for someone out there, this will be the case. I write as a Lutheran (or, perhaps a Lutherpalian) although I might seem out of the mainstream from time to time. That's okay, isn't it? Let's blog on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northport, Long Island, United States

Contrary to what Google will tell you, I have been blogging for several year, right here. Look for Churchstuff-moreorless. life was a hell of a lot easier when you could talk to someone to get help. Now, you can't do it on the telephone, you can't do it on the internet. Life was easier and made more sense because people actually cared. Now they will screw you as quickly as they will help you. Unfuck the world.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

And so it begins

This is a bit odd. I don't journal although I email with great proficiency. I've been reading other folks' blogs for sometime now and a recent Washington Post article (Cyber Pastors blog when the Spirit Moves Them) seemed to make a lot of sense. So, with the encouragement of my on-line support community (isn't it great to have one?), I begin.
I've been a Lutheran pastor since 1990 although my journey began back in 1968 or so. I've bounced around a bit, am a stickler when it comes to worship but most of the rest of the time I'd be just as happy to be out in the streets in bluejeans, clerical shirt (black only, please) and flip flops.
Sometimes I think we in the church create unnecessary barriers to meeting God in our lives. I'd like to think that, through this medium, we can pull some of them down. I guess it will depend on both of us. I've gotta write stuff that makes sense and you've gotta respond. We'll see how it goes.
Oh, yeah, I am still figuring this format out. Please bear with me.

4 Comments:

Blogger jimmy said...

Welcome. I've found blogging to be a very usefull tool, especially when it comes to thinking "out loud" and working through issues you are thinking about. A few words of advice, Be careful how descriptive you get if you are talking about a specifi person, you don't want to get sued. And if you are working through a thought or a theology that is historically important to your denomination/congregation be careful about how your thoughts are percieved. I've come way too close to getting fired for blog entries on more than one occasion. Also, don't watch the stat counter. That'll drive you nuts. It will take a good long while before you have a consisitent audience, so be patient. I guess that's it from here.

Most importantly, have fun.

grace and peace, jimmy

8:10 PM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to think that, here, I will choose my words carefully. I don't think that I will ever use this to rant about a particular person, at least not in a way to make it painfully obvious as to who it is that I am speaking. I wsnt this to be a good discipline for me, so I will hang in for a while and see where it goes.
Thanks, again.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good that this blog has begun. Church stuff is world wide. In July, I spent some time in Manila and while there, met with folks from the Presbyterian church. At least 18 members of that church have been killed over the past year because of well, I trust, their belief that the Gospel has a public role and agitation to the State. I would hope that this blog will deal with church/state in a upfront manner.

Bill Strehlow
Geneva, Switzerland

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home