Church Stuff-More or less

Does the church make sense or do we make it too hard for people to come in? I think yes and yes and the task then is to make it easier. Maybe for someone out there, this will be the case. I write as a Lutheran (or, perhaps a Lutherpalian) although I might seem out of the mainstream from time to time. That's okay, isn't it? Let's blog on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northport, Long Island, United States

Contrary to what Google will tell you, I have been blogging for several year, right here. Look for Churchstuff-moreorless. life was a hell of a lot easier when you could talk to someone to get help. Now, you can't do it on the telephone, you can't do it on the internet. Life was easier and made more sense because people actually cared. Now they will screw you as quickly as they will help you. Unfuck the world.

Friday, August 04, 2006

"You go a bit crazy...

when you see little body after little body coming up out of the ground." So writes Ghaith Abdul-Ahad in the Guardian about the attack which I referred to in the previous blog. I try to understand both sides of this argument, the Israelis and the Palestinians. And it isn't easy. There are points which both sides can make that make sense. What doesn't make sense is the killing. What makes even less sense is the killing of children. It has to stop. Someone has to find the way to stop this madness because the death of one child is one too many deaths.

It looks like I am getting more and more away from theology and the church here. Maybe not. I am trying to get involved in the One campaign, maybe bring it to the church where I am worshiping these days. For some reason, I wasn't able to navigate their site and order some white One bracelets. Frustrated, I started thinking about the whole campaign, about Bono and what he is trying to accomplish and something clicked, something took me back as I remembered a song he sang on a cd put out by Pavarotti ten years ago "Together for the Children of Bosnia" Since that time, I think he's put out about 8 similar cd's, that's almost one per year. That's a lot of war, disaster, and children. Now, I guess only two questions remain-"Will Luciano live long enough to put one out for the children of Iraq and Lebanon?" and "when will these things be no longer necessary?"

On the cd, Bono sings:

One love, one blood, one life
You got to do what you should
One life, with each other
Sisters, brothers
One life, but we're not the same
We get to carry each other
Carry each other

One...

One..

Not the same type of carrying which Abdul-Ahad mentioned in his gut wrenching article, but carrying nonetheless. It's a hell of a lot better to carry each other while there is life left in us. Before it is too late for all of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home