Church Stuff-More or less

Does the church make sense or do we make it too hard for people to come in? I think yes and yes and the task then is to make it easier. Maybe for someone out there, this will be the case. I write as a Lutheran (or, perhaps a Lutherpalian) although I might seem out of the mainstream from time to time. That's okay, isn't it? Let's blog on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northport, Long Island, United States

Contrary to what Google will tell you, I have been blogging for several year, right here. Look for Churchstuff-moreorless. life was a hell of a lot easier when you could talk to someone to get help. Now, you can't do it on the telephone, you can't do it on the internet. Life was easier and made more sense because people actually cared. Now they will screw you as quickly as they will help you. Unfuck the world.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Clothing the Naked--or at least the cold

Long Islanders for Change  is a continuation of the 2008 Obama campaign. One of our intentions is to do regular (as in monthly) community service projects and yesterday was February’s turn. Together with Project Hope we collected winter clothing to distribute to less fortunate members of our community. Truth be told, many of those folk are migratory workers but we don’t check for documents. Project Hope is one of several social ministry projects of a local Roman Catholic parish, St. Hugh of Lincoln and, from what I could see, they seem to actually get it. They seem to be truly acting as Jesus’ agents, feeding the hungry, clothing the less fortunate (it’s too cold to be naked) and so forth, so it is indeed fitting to give them props here. While we (the Obamites) were busy receiving, sorting and folding clothing in one corner of the cafeteria, two dozen youth were busy preparing vegetables in another. They actually seemed to enjoy what they were doing and none seemed to be there against their will.
I guess I noticed it because it looked exactly what I had hoped to instill in all of the congregations with which I have worked yet haven’t. I guess I noticed it because I realized that it was possible. Not just the youth, but the adults, too. Everyone seemed to be enjoying what they were doing, even if it was Saturday.
Later in the afternoon, as we were wrapping things up, I happened to have an opportunity to spend some time talking with the head of their youth ministry. Small talk, mostly, I guess because I didn’t think to ask to what he attributed the activity that I had observed. Next time I see him, I’ll have to remember to ask. It will haunt me until I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home