Church Stuff-More or less

Does the church make sense or do we make it too hard for people to come in? I think yes and yes and the task then is to make it easier. Maybe for someone out there, this will be the case. I write as a Lutheran (or, perhaps a Lutherpalian) although I might seem out of the mainstream from time to time. That's okay, isn't it? Let's blog on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northport, Long Island, United States

Contrary to what Google will tell you, I have been blogging for several year, right here. Look for Churchstuff-moreorless. life was a hell of a lot easier when you could talk to someone to get help. Now, you can't do it on the telephone, you can't do it on the internet. Life was easier and made more sense because people actually cared. Now they will screw you as quickly as they will help you. Unfuck the world.

Monday, April 13, 2009

My daily devo from Epiphany

John 14. v1 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me."

Have more comforting words ever been spoken? I think not. Jesus said these words to his friends just before his arrest. Somehow, I think he said them not only for their benefit, but for his own as well.

I think Jesus was very human in his last days, even if those around him didn't fully understand. Jesus had some very real feelings that have often gone overlooked, or at least glossed over. Jesus knew that the disciples would be distraught and traumatized at his death.

Jesus says these words to us too. Life is full of uncertainties. We don't have the luxury of being present with Jesus in the way the disciples were. But Jesus is present with us, as he was present with the disciples, helping them to carry on. We have the written record and the faith as the Spirit give us to understand it.

It was rough at first, but they did it. With the help of Jesus, we can too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home