Church Stuff-More or less

Does the church make sense or do we make it too hard for people to come in? I think yes and yes and the task then is to make it easier. Maybe for someone out there, this will be the case. I write as a Lutheran (or, perhaps a Lutherpalian) although I might seem out of the mainstream from time to time. That's okay, isn't it? Let's blog on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northport, Long Island, United States

Contrary to what Google will tell you, I have been blogging for several year, right here. Look for Churchstuff-moreorless. life was a hell of a lot easier when you could talk to someone to get help. Now, you can't do it on the telephone, you can't do it on the internet. Life was easier and made more sense because people actually cared. Now they will screw you as quickly as they will help you. Unfuck the world.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My morning devotion from Epiphany

John 17. 21 that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. (NRSV)

Devotion: Some well-meaning (I hope) folk think that the word “one” means identical. I suppose that there is some truth to that, but not in the way that they mean. They think that it means that we should all agree in every jot and tittle. It is as if all Christians should become super-Lutherans. I think Jesus has a much bigger picture in mind. Jesus envisions a community of individuals, independent thinkers and doers who are one in commitment.

Each of us comes to full relationships with God and each other in our own ways, in our own time. As different as you and I are, so is our path. Yet, each path ought be leading in the same, one direction. That is where Jesus’ “one” comes into play. We ought be about the business of helping each other, each in our own way, come closer to God, and in that way, closer to each other.
Link
I invite you, as part of this devotion to read these partially familiar words: http://isu.indstate.edu/ilnprof/ENG451/ISLAND/text.html

Prayer: We do wish, dear God, to be one. One with you and one with each other. Help us to respect our differences and though we remain unique, make us one. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home