Church Stuff-More or less

Does the church make sense or do we make it too hard for people to come in? I think yes and yes and the task then is to make it easier. Maybe for someone out there, this will be the case. I write as a Lutheran (or, perhaps a Lutherpalian) although I might seem out of the mainstream from time to time. That's okay, isn't it? Let's blog on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northport, Long Island, United States

Contrary to what Google will tell you, I have been blogging for several year, right here. Look for Churchstuff-moreorless. life was a hell of a lot easier when you could talk to someone to get help. Now, you can't do it on the telephone, you can't do it on the internet. Life was easier and made more sense because people actually cared. Now they will screw you as quickly as they will help you. Unfuck the world.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Remember that you are dust...

We held our annual Ash Wednesday service last night at 7:30. The attendance was typical for a non-Sunday Lutheran service, less than you hope but important nonetheless. I still have some black under my thumbnail even though my forehead is reasonable clean.

As I went to put my alb away-along with my heavy cloak and balck stole-I bent down to pick up the hanger I dropped before the service, oblivious to the processional candle standing there in the closet. Smack! went my forehead on the dripcatcher. When I got home to wash the ashes off, I noticed the cut on my forehead, dried blood and all. Now the ashes are gone but the mark remains and probably will for a week or so.

We tend to like to get such things over with quickly, why dwell upon the sad stuff. Like going straight from Palm Sunday to Easter. I've always wondered about folks who come to Ash Wednesday services yet eschew the imposition of ashes. We had a few of them last night. But, we also had a few late comers who approached me later in the service, during the sharing of peace, for ashes. I quickly went to the sacristy and returned. Even after the service, someone came to me for ashes as well. MAde it all seemed worthwhile and no inconvenience at all.

The faith is inconvenient at times. We like to skip over some parts as I said earlier. But Jesus never said it would be convenient, just that he would be there.

Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home