Church Stuff-More or less

Does the church make sense or do we make it too hard for people to come in? I think yes and yes and the task then is to make it easier. Maybe for someone out there, this will be the case. I write as a Lutheran (or, perhaps a Lutherpalian) although I might seem out of the mainstream from time to time. That's okay, isn't it? Let's blog on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northport, Long Island, United States

Contrary to what Google will tell you, I have been blogging for several year, right here. Look for Churchstuff-moreorless. life was a hell of a lot easier when you could talk to someone to get help. Now, you can't do it on the telephone, you can't do it on the internet. Life was easier and made more sense because people actually cared. Now they will screw you as quickly as they will help you. Unfuck the world.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday's Devotion from Epiphany

Luke 7. 44Then turning toward the woman, he said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has bathed my feet with her tears and dried them with her hair. (NRSV)

Jesus is speaking to his host, Simon, an overly pious man. He is speaking to a religious leader of his time, a time in which women were treated as second class citizens, at best.

“Do you see women? Do you see them not as objects to abuse but as human beings to honor and cherish? ? Do you see how you have hurt them? Do you see how you have terrified them, punished them, oppressed them, starved them, raped them, and killed them? Do you see the presence of God in women?”

Jesus is speaking to us because times have not changed all. I doubt we would be anymore comfortable than Simon. Both in church and society, women are all too often treated as second class citizens, at best.

In my life, the most significant woman (my most significant partner) I have known was sexually abused as a child from the time she was nine until she was old enough to escape the house. Yet this woman has been able to show me a God who I never could have imagined without her help. As rocky as our relationship has been (people who have been abused have a great deal of trouble with the issue of trust), I still cherish her and all that she has taught me. Yes, Jesus, I see her.

You created us equal in your sight but we have failed to live out that equality. Forgive us our sins, increase our faith that we might truly go in peace. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home